Saturday, August 23, 2008

Totem Pole - Ketchikan, Alaska

Lar and I just returned from a month of traveling. We drove from Arizona to board the Tahitian Princess in Vancouver, BC for a 14-day Alaskan cruise. I took this photo at the Heritage Totem Pole Park just outside of Ketchikan, AK. I wanted to concentrate on totem poles because my next watercolor series will focus on the figures in the poles. The weather was cold, wet, foggy, and lots of rain, so photography inexperience really comes out of the woodwork here. Not being able to use flash on interior shots really blew my opportunity to get great images that were stored inside. Please don't feel sorry for me because the weather was so cold, wet, foggy and rainy...I live in Arizona. I loved dressing in seven layers and wearing a coat and gloves. After living/working as an ex-pat in Mayfair, London, England, I enjoyed being in a maritime climate again. "Dry heat" is for the cactus wrens!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

while in the very moist city of juneau alaska we took the tramway right from the dock up to the top of the mountain at the top of that mtn was a totem pole that served as the guardian of the area below us .. once the fog and rain lifted we viewed the areas that was being defended this stalwart defender what a work this was both the totem and the harbor